Terms and conditions
Please read the terms, conditions, notices and disclaimers below known as the ‘Terms and Conditions’. Your use of, and/or access to, the site constitutes your agreement to these Terms and Conditions.
We reserve the right to amend the Terms and Conditions at any time. Since you are bound by these Terms and Conditions, you should periodically refer to them in this document and elsewhere on the site.
Copyright and trademarks
Intellectual property and restrictions on use of Content on the Site
All information, text, material, graphics and advertisements on the Site (‘Content’) are Copyright © 1998 – 2018 ahm Health Insurance, a business of Medibank Private Limited ABN 47 080 890 259, its related bodies corporate, its suppliers and/or licensors unless expressly indicated otherwise on the Site.
The Content is protected by Australian and international copyright and trade mark laws. You must not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, frame, upload to a third party, post, transmit or distribute this Content in any way except as expressly provided for on the Site or expressly authorised in writing by us or our Affiliates. Strictly on the condition that you keep all Content intact and in the same form as presented on the Site (including without limitation all copyright, trade mark and other proprietary notices and all advertisements), you may:
- using an industry-standard Web browser, download and view the Content for your personal, non-commercial use, or
- if you are an Internet service and/or access provider, supply the Content to your subscriber.
Read this bit as it describes how the materials on our site are protected and the restrictions on the use of such materials in more details.
Trademarks of ahm Health Insurance and its Affiliates
All trade marks displayed on the Site are trademarks of ahm Health Insurance, its related bodies corporate, or their respective owners. Nothing contained on the Site should be construed as granting any licence or right of use of any trade mark displayed on the Site without the express written permission of ahm Health Insurance, the relevant ahm Health Insurance affiliate or third party owner.
Some of the logos may be available to you to place on your own website as a hyperlink to the relevant ahm website, but such use requires the express written authorisation of ahm or the relevant Affiliate, and any use must be in accordance with the trade mark usage guidelines of the relevant trade mark owner.
Read this to learn more about the ownership of logos displayed on our site.
The Site contains hyperlinks and other pointers to Internet websites operated by third parties. These linked websites are not under the control of ahm Health Insurance, and ahm Health Insurance is not responsible for the contents of any linked website or any hyperlink contained in a linked website. ahm Health Insurance provides these hyperlinks to you as a convenience only, and the inclusion of any link does not imply any endorsement of the linked website by ahm Health Insurance or its Affiliates. You link to any such website entirely at your own risk.
Read this bit to learn more about the stuff our site links to and who controls these linked websites.
The Competition and Consumer Act 2010 and similar State and Territory Legislation in Australia may confer rights and remedies on you in relation to the provision by ahm Health Insurance and its related bodies corporate of goods or services on the Site which cannot be excluded, restricted or modified (‘Non-excludable Rights’). ahm Health Insurance does not exclude any Non-excludable Rights but does exclude all other conditions and warranties implied by custom, law or statute.
Except as provided for by the Non-excludable Rights:
- all Content is provided ‘as is’ and without warranties of any kind, either express or implied,
- ahm Health Insurance, its related bodies corporate and its suppliers expressly disclaim all warranties of any kind including but not limited to implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose,
- ahm Health Insurance, its related bodies corporate do not warrant that the functions contained in any Content or any Communications Facility or your access to the Site will be uninterrupted or error-free, that any defects will be corrected or that the Site or the server which stores and transmits Content to you are free of viruses or any other harmful components,
- ahm Health Insurance, its related bodies corporate do not warrant or make any representation regarding your access to, or the results of your access to, the Site (including any related or linked website) or any Content in terms of correctness, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, reliability or otherwise, and
- you (and not ahm Health Insurance) assume the entire cost of any necessary verification, maintenance, repair and/or correction of any relevant Content.
Content on our site is not intended to be used to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease, and it should not be used for therapeutic purposes. The user is responsible for assessing the accuracy and relevance of content. This disclaimer is attached to all of our content.
Read this bit to help you understand what we provide by way of consumer guarantees.
Limitation of liability
Under no circumstances (including but not limited to any act or omission on the part of ahm Health Insurance) will ahm Health Insurance or its related bodies corporate be liable for any indirect, incidental, special and/or consequential damages or loss of profits whatsoever which result from any use or access of, or any inability to use or access, the Site or any Content. You expressly acknowledge and agree that ahm Health Insurance or its related bodies corporate does not exert control over users of the Site (including individuals referred to on the Site as guests and experts) and is not liable either for their opinions or their behaviour including any information and/or advice and any defamatory statements or offensive conduct.
To the fullest extent permitted by law, ahm Health Insurance’s liability and the liability of its related bodies corporate for breach of any implied warranty or condition which cannot be excluded is limited at the option of ahm Health Insurance and its related bodies corporate to the following:
in the case of services supplied or offered by ahm Health Insurance and its related bodies corporate
- the supply of the services again, or
- the payment of the cost of having services supplied again; and
- in the case of goods supplied or offered by ahm Health Insurance and its related bodies corporate,
- the replacement of the goods or the supply of equivalent goods,
- the repair of such goods,
- the payment of the cost of replacing the goods or acquiring equivalent goods, or
- the payment of the cost of having the goods repaired.
Read this bit to see in detail what we’re not liable for when you access our site.
When you visit ahm web sites, our servers collect routine logging information such as the pages visited, the time of your visit, the web browser that you are using, and the IP address associated with your request. This information is used in aggregated form to help us manage our servers and websites, and to improve our understanding of the needs of users. The information may also be used when investigating security incidents.
preferences to disable cookies, but this will affect your experience of the web site.
ahm web pages use Google Analytics Premium and other third-party tools to better understand how people use the site. This makes information similar to that of routine server logs available to Google or other third-party statistics providers. The analytic reports that are produced are aggregated and do not identify individual people.
Third party vendors, including Google, show our ads on sites across the internet. ahm uses 3rd party cookies from Google to inform, report, optimise and serve ads based on visits to our website via Google Advertising cookies. This is done using the following applications:
- Remarketing with Google Analytics
- Google Display Network Impression Reporting
- DoubleClick Platform integrations
- Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting
If you would like more information about the above, including how to opt out of data being collected or used by the aforementioned 3rd party cookies from Google, you can follow this link: https://www.google.com/intl/en/analytics/learn/privacy.html
We collect and use some of the information you provide when you join ahm or when you access ahm Online Member Services by following a link on a ahm email, we use this information to:
- Monitor the use of, and improve, the information and functions on ahm’s websites
- Understand your interactions and preferences
- To provide you with information about products and services that may interest you
This information may be linked to cookies set in your browser and to information you have provided to us previously. You may use your browser preferences to disable these cookies.
Some ahm websites present content and functionality provided by third parties. The content, and any information gathered, is not controlled by ahm and users should consult the privacy policies of the third party providers. ahm will take reasonable steps to advise users when third parties are involved in ahm transactions.
Read this bit and follow the link to see how we use your personal information and protect your privacy.
The Australian Government requires all health insurance providers and members to incorporate a program of fraud control as part of their overall risk management strategy. Our objective is to minimise loss from fraud so that we can maximise the amount available for benefit payments to you.
What do we do about it?
We use an independent firm and our own teams to investigate suspected instances of fraud. Our aim is to recover any money and, more importantly, deter further fraudulent behaviour.
How can members help?
The easiest way to help is to simply be aware of what you are being billed for. Make sure the dates of service are correct and that you received the treatment recorded. It is also important to treat your member card like a credit card, and not to leave it with any provider. If your card is lost, please report it to us straight away.
If you have reason to suspect fraudulent activity, please call us on 134 246 or email us at email@example.com. You can choose to remain anonymous but please be assured that we follow high standards of investigative practice and always protect the interests of all parties.
Read this bit to see how we protect against fraud and how you can report fraud to us.
We will advise you from time to time of the transactions our Online Member Services will enable you to perform.
In order to access our Online Member Services, you must be the Principal Member with ahm Health Insurance and be registered for online services with a password.
These services include but are not restricted to:
- Online claiming.
- Paying your premium by credit card.
- Viewing previous transactions.
- Viewing and/or editing membership details.
Read this bit to find out about Online Member Services.
Before you can access Online Member Services, you will need to register your details, enter your member number and password, according to the procedure set out on the membership page. You must also confirm that you have understood and agree to the Terms and Conditions of the Site.
You must take reasonable care to keep your password confidential. If you decide to tell someone your Password, they become your Nominee and are subject to these Conditions of Use. We recommend that you do not record your Password. If you do so, you are responsible for keeping any records of your Password secure and protected, and separate from any records of your member number.
Read this bit to learn how to obtain and protect your password.
Use of Online Member Services may be subject to transaction limits. These may be imposed by us or by other parties involved in any transaction. These include:
- the maximum amounts which can be claimed online before claims are processed and benefits paid;
- the maximum amounts which can be paid subject to financial year extras limits;
- the maximum amounts for online credit card payments per transaction.
Read this bit to get an idea of limits we may set on online transactions.
You are liable for all transactions carried out by you or by anyone carrying out a transaction with your authority or express or implied consent, regardless of when the transaction is processed to your account.
You should check your statements and records carefully. If you believe a transaction is wrong or unauthorised you should contact us immediately.
Read this bit to understand your responsibility in using Online Member Services.
Online claiming Terms and Conditions
- Only the Principal Member or partner listed on the policy is permitted to use online claiming.
- A daily benefit limit of $500 per claim, per policy or up to the max limit for some of our combined products applies to claims made using online claiming.
- ahm Health Insurance reserves the right to recover any overpayment of any claim for whatever reason, and the overpayment may also be deducted from any future claim.
- Principal Member claiming via the web are bound by all the rules of ahm Health Insurance.
- Online claiming receipts must be retained for a period of 24 months from the date of service, for audit purposes.
- ahm Health Insurance may terminate the online claiming service at any time.
- ahm Health Insurance does not warrant that the online claiming will be available or functional as required.
Under no circumstances is ahm Health Insurance or any of its carriers or suppliers liable or
responsible in any way to you or any other person for any loss, damages, costs, expenses or other
claims (including consequential damages and loss of profits or loss of revenues), as a result,
direct or indirect of any defect, deficiency or discrepancy in the online claiming service including
its form, content and timeliness of delivery, including, without limitations, for and in relation to
any of the following:
- Any service supplied to you.
- Any delay in supply of the service.
- Any failure to supply the service.
- Any technical or non-technical failure.
- Any content or information accessed via the service with or without your authorisation.
- The Competition and Consumer Act 2010 and certain State and Territory legislation may imply certain conditions and warranties into the Agreement. To the extent permitted by law those conditions or warranties are expressly excluded. Where they cannot be excluded, ahm Health Insurance’s liability (if any) arising from the breach of those conditions and warranties is limited, in ahm Health Insurance’s sole discretion to the supply of the services again or cost of re-supplying the services again.
The registration and use of Online Member Services is subject to these terms and conditions in addition to any specific terms to which you agree on registering for online services.
Read this bit for all the details about online claiming.
We will make all reasonable efforts to ensure that the Site is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. However, electronic services are subject to interruption or breakdown. Therefore, access to our website is offered on an ‘as is’ and ‘as available’ basis only.
ahm Health Insurance Live Chat is a service established and maintained by ahm Health Insurance, a business of Medibank Private Limited ACN 080 890 259, which enables you to chat to an ahm Health Insurance consultant in real-time to assist you to navigate your way around ahm Health Insurance’s website and, where possible, discuss your ahm health insurance cover. The ahm Health Insurance Live Chat facility uses LivePerson Inc’s engagement technology.
Eligibility for access
ahm Health Insurance Live Chat is intended solely for use by Australian residents and holders of valid Australian visas who are eligible to purchase our insurance products. To be eligible to use ahm Health Insurance Live Chat you must be 16 years of age or older. ahm Health Insurance has the sole right to determine your eligibility for, and the extent of your access to, ahm Health Insurance Live Chat.
Appropriate use of ahm Health Insurance Live Chat
- corrupt, damage or interfere with ahm Health Insurance Live Chat or any ahm Health Insurance or third party data, software, hardware, website or information technology systems;
- send any offensive, inflammatory, defamatory, fraudulent or otherwise unlawful information or information that infringes third party rights;
- adversely affect the reputation or public image of ahm Health Insurance; or
- cause annoyance or inconvenience to ahm Health Insurance or any third party.
During your Live Chat with an ahm Health Insurance consultant, you may provide personal information including your:
- email address if you would like ahm Health Insurance to email correspondence to you;
- telephone number if you would like an ahm Health Insurance consultant to contact you following the Live Chat to resolve any outstanding issues you may have or for follow up purposes; and/or
- postal address if you would like ahm Health Insurance to post correspondence to you.
In providing ahm Health Insurance your email address,telephone number and/or your postal address, you consent to ahm Health Insurance using your email address and/or telephone number to contact you for the above purposes.
Any personal information (including sensitive information) (Information) you provide during the Live Chat will be collected by ahm Health Insurance in its capacity as the Live Chat service provider and LivePerson in its capacity as the communications technology provider.
ahm Health Insurance and LivePerson each handle the Information they collect about you in accordance with their respective privacy policies, which you can access via the following links:
- assist you to navigate the ahm Health Insurance website;
- answer your queries or resolve any issues you may have regarding ahm Health Insurance’s products and services;
- answer your queries or resolve any issues you may have regarding your ahm Health Insurance’s cover; and
- continue to develop and improve the ahm Health Insurance Live Chat service, the ahm Health Insurance website and ahm Health Insurance’s products and services.
In order to provide the Live Chat service, ahm Health Insurance and LivePerson may disclose your Information to third parties, including technology maintenance and support services providers. These providers may be located, or provide services from, overseas including in the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Israel and the Netherlands.
You may choose to access and use ahm Health Insurance Live Chat on an anonymous basis and/or nominate an alias for use by the ahm Health Insurance consultant during your Live Chat. However, this may mean that ahm Health Insurance is only able to provide you with general advice and assistance during the Live Chat.
Intellectual property rights
ahm Health Insurance Live Chat is provided to you on ‘as is’ and ‘as available’ basis and may, from time to time, contain errors, faults and inaccuracies. Subject to the consumer guarantees provided for in consumer protection legislation (including the Australian Consumer Law), ahm Health Insurance makes no representation and provides no express or implied warranty or guarantee about the security of ahm Health Insurance Live Chat, the safety of any file or software associated with it (such as safety from any virus or defects including those that could damage or interfere with any data, software or hardware with which it might be used) or that access to ahm Health Insurance Live Chat will be uninterrupted or fault free. ahm Health Insurance does not provide telecommunications services and does not warrant that you will have continuous access to ahm Health Insurance Live Chat or that it will be supplied fault free. ahm Health Insurance will not be liable in the event that ahm Health Insurance Live Chat is unavailable to you for any reason including due to computer downtime attributable to malfunctions, upgrades, preventative or remedial maintenance activities or interruption in telecommunications supply. ahm Health Insurance reserves the right to suspend or terminate the availability of ahm Health Insurance Live Chat at any time.
Any response provided by an ahm Health Insurance consultant through ahm Health Insurance Live Chat is provided for information purposes only. Subject to the consumer guarantees provided for in consumer protection legislation (including the Australian Consumer Law), ahm Health Insurance does not give any express or implied warranties and makes no representations in relation to the responses provided by an ahm Health Insurance consultant through ahm Health Insurance Live Chat. While reasonable care has been taken in its preparation, ahm Health Insurance does not guarantee or warrant the accuracy, quality, completeness, reliability or currency of the responses provided by an ahm Health Insurance consultant through ahm Health Insurance Live Chat or of any ahm Health Insurance websites, materials, information, products or services promoted through ahm Health Insurance Live Chat, or their usefulness in achieving any purpose. You should make and rely on your own assessment and enquiries to verify the accuracy of the information provided through ahm Health Insurance Live Chat.
You agree to access and use ahm Health Insurance Live Chat entirely at your own risk including in relation to all information that you choose to transmit through ahm Health Insurance Live Chat.
Limitation of liability
Subject to the consumer guarantees provided for in consumer protection legislation (including the Australian Consumer Law), ahm Health Insurance and its officers, employees and agents accept no liability for any loss, damage, illness or injury (including any loss of profits or income, business interruption or loss or corruption of data or other information):
- arising from:
- your access to or use of ahm Health Insurance Live Chat;
- the information on ahm Health Insurance Live Chat being incorrect, incomplete or misleading;
- any action or indecision by you in reliance of the information contained in ahm Health Insurance Live Chat; and
- any delay or interruption in access to or use of ahm Health Insurance Live Chat; and
- for any personal injury, including death, caused by access to, use or misuse of ahm Health Insurance Live Chat including its content and services.
You agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless ahm Health Insurance and its officers, directors, employees and agents from and against all claims, actions, loss, damages, liabilities and costs related to or arising directly or indirectly from the following:
- subject to the consumer guarantees provided for in consumer protection legislation (including the Australian Consumer Law), your use of ahm Health Insurance Live Chat.
Live chat cookies
If you would rather not have this information stored on your computer, you can configure your browser so it does not accept cookies. However, if you disable cookies you will not be able to access ahm Health Insurance Live Chat.
Other terms and conditions
This agreement will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Victoria, Australia. You irrevocably and unconditionally submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Victoria. If any provision of this agreement is found to be invalid or unenforceable by a court of law, such invalidity or unenforceability will not affect the remainder of the agreement, which will continue in full force and effect.
All rights not expressly granted herein are reserved.
Acceptance of Terms and Conditions
Your use of this website indicates your agreement to be bound by the Terms and Conditions.